Gotcha Day

Gotcha Day
Click picture for VIDEO of Gotcha Day

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Truly, madly, deeply in love…

With this cold pizza. It is sooooo yummy. It’s 5am Wednesday morning and the lovelies are asleep. The last two days have been the most beautiful, wonderful moments of our lives. And it’s left me hungry for nasty, leftover, junk food!
Let me start with Monday, “Gotcha Day”. We left Beijing on a 3 hour flight to Guangzhou early in the morning. 15 families, eager, excited, dazed, ready. Hotel lobby, bus to the airport, check in everyone’s overweight luggage, take a few elbows pushing our way to the gate, tram to the plane, load the plane, air traffic jam, three hour flight with a mystery snack, we’re in Guangzhou.
I have all of half an hour to doll myself up to go and meet the girls. Strangely enough, I want to look pretty for them. I think I caught Cameron checking himself in the mirror to make sure his outfit matched.
We make it to the Civil Affairs Office. Haven’t seen our babies yet, but several of us mommies were tearing up already. The daddies all had their heads down… “getting their cameras ready.” One by one they call our family names.
Oops, commercial break…Shayne’s now sitting on my lap with a bottle. 6am, on the dot…her wake up time.
Ok, one by one, our names are called and nannies walk in with gorgeous babies. Some crying, some still. Norah is asleep in her nannies arms. Shayne is awake, peering in every direction, turning her head towards noise. They’re dressed in matching pink outfits, small nametag attached, so as not to confuse one for the other, though they’re so different in appearance, it would be impossible. Shoes are pink and gold patent leather. They’ve obviously had more time to get dolled up than I did! Nannies hand over the girls. We get out of the way for other families and run to our corner with treasures in hand. Cameron and I can’t stop smiling and laughing. They’re precious. Moments later, we have a chance to speak with the nannies - it’s amazing that I didn’t need a translator. The nanny, Ms. Li spoke to me in Mandarin, heavily accented by her local dialect. I spoke to her in my obviously-didn’t-go-to-Chinese-school Chinese. It was easy to see how fond she was of them, referring to Norah as Tuan Tuan and Shayne as Yuan Yuan. She was eager to tell me what the girls like to do, about what makes them laugh, how they like to take their food, how beautiful they are. I emphasized our gratefulness for their good care – how it was obvious that the girls were loved. At the end of our conversation, she gave me her business card with her email address. She asked several times that I send her pictures of the girls growing up. At that moment, the girls were quiet and comfortable in our arms. It was heart-breaking for me to see Ms. Li go. For the girls, it will be a process for them, I’m sure, to realize that this was possibly the last time they saw the loving, caring mother they’ve known for the last 13 months.
We were told that Norah is quiet and gentle, likes playing with friends, loves sun-bathing and walking hand-in-hand with her caretaker. Sounds like someone mommy can get along with wellJ
Shayne is wide awake, peering in every direction. The paperwork we received months ago tell us that Shayne is active, likes to play with friends and loves the outdoors. Sounds like daddy’s little girl.
Interestingly, Shayne’s a bit more attached to mommy at this point and Norah is always looking for daddy!

7 comments:

Brownie Troop 157 said...

Thank you so much for allowing us a glimpse into this very special time for you. Your words have brought back so many memories of my trip almost 3 years ago this January.

Your daughters are beautiful. I hope they find peace quickly with all the changes their facing, and wish you all safe and healthy travels back home.

With much warmth and kind regards,

Carol and Taylor in Miami
(another MaoNan family)

rp said...

Beautiful! That was a wonderful retelling of early defining moments for your family. Can't wait to meet the whole gang!

Angela said...

Yay! That was so beautiful and moving to read. Your daughters are so loved and we can't wait to meet them when you are home and settled in.

allysdad said...

very touching. and I can't wait to meet them--Bonnie & Marcus

mamaofboys said...

how moving and wonderful! can't wait to meet the girls and that hello kitty pin is holding on like you said it would!

allysdad said...

I'm in Shanghai from 16-22...let me know if you're around allysdad@gmail.com marcus

claudina said...

I'm so happy for the new Kim Family and I just want to say thank you for sharing this special moment. I can see all the happiness in your face in that pic with the girls. I wish you all the best, have a great and safe trip back! See you all here:) Good luck Doctora CW we all miss you!!